MIP FAQ - International Students

gettyimages 932741406

Frequently Asked Questions

Please find answers to our most commonly asked questions

International Students

  • Can international students apply to the MIP Program?

We welcome and encourage students from all nationalities to apply to our master's program. On average, 50% of our students are international.

  • How do I know if I am eligible for graduate study at Stanford? Is my undergraduate degree sufficient?

To be eligible for admission to graduate study at Stanford, you must meet the university’s minimum requirements for academic credentials and English proficiency. You must hold, or expect to hold before enrollment at Stanford, a U.S. bachelor’s degree or its international equivalent from a college or university of recognized standing. The guidelines for minimum level of study you should have achieved, by geographic region, are available on the Office of Graduate Admissions' Eligbility page.

  • Is the MIP Program STEM designated?

No. The MIP program grants the Master of Arts in International Policy, so it is not STEM designated.

  • I received an offer of admission. When should I begin the visa application process?

You should begin the application process as soon as you accept your offer of admission. ​Information on applying for a visa can be found on the Graduate Admissions website. Your I-20 document should be sent to the Bechtel International Center:

Bechtel International Center

584 Capistrano Way
Stanford, California 94305-8245
(650) 723-1831

  • Are there other programs and services for international students?

​A great starting place is the Gateway for New Graduate Students (be sure to click the links under the "International Students"). Visit the Bechtel International Center for general information on immigration, programs, and services offered by the center, as well as the Orientation Week Schedule. The Bechtel International Center also offers extensive services for spouses, partners, and families.