M.A./ M.P.P. Admissions

2a79789f 57fb 8312 d81b 67bbbd6f1412

M.A./ M.P.P. Admissions

Find out how to apply for the joint degree in Public Policy and International Policy

The joint degree program allows you to pursue study in both the International Policy (MIP) and Public Policy programs in three academic years of residence. In rare instances, the joint degree program could be completed in less than three years. Graduates from the M.A./M.P.P. program will be prepared to work in the research, planning, and implementation of public policies for government agencies, NGOs, and foundations that work both in the United States and overseas.

Degree Requirements


MIP Units 80
Public Policy Units 90
Units that can be applied towards both degrees 45
Time to Complete 9 academic quarters (3 years)



Year         School           Coursework
1         MIP           MIP Core Curriculum
2         MIP & Public Policy           MIP Capstone & Area of Specialization / Public Policy Core & Electives
3         Public Policy           Public Policy Core & Electives




cardinal red photo

How to Apply

Applications for graduate study in Public Policy are only accepted from:

  • Students currently enrolled in any Stanford graduate or undergraduate degree program
  • From external applicants seeking a joint degree
  • From recent Stanford alumni (graduated within the past 5 years)


External Applicants

The joint degree program requires admission to, and matriculation into, MIP as a first step. MIP students must be enrolled at Stanford for at least one quarter before applying to add the joint degree in public policy. As a reminder, the application deadline for the MIP program is generally the first Tuesday in January of the same year in which you intend to matriculate (e.g., early January 2021 application deadline for matriculation in September 2021).


Additional Information

Please contact MIP during the application process if you have questions about the joint degree program.

Admissions questions are addressed in our FAQ section. Further questions should be directed to MPP Grad Admissions and MIP Admissions


Current MIP Students

The joint program requires admission to Public Policy, and students should discuss their plans with both programs before applying. MIP students must be enrolled at Stanford for at least one quarter before applying to add the joint degree in public policy. 



Rolling applications from current Stanford graduate students will be accepted prior to the April 6, 2021 deadline. Early submission of MPP applications is encouraged. Admission notifications will be sent on a rolling basis no later than May 1, 2021. 

Application materials for Public Policy must be submitted by April 6, 2021 in order to be considered for matriculation in Autumn Quarter 2021. The early deadline for applications is Tuesday, January 26, 2021.

Application information is available on the Public Policy website.


Additional Information

Admitted students are required to respond to offers of admission by May 15, 2021. Matriculating students will pay a $125 fee when submitting a Graduate Authorization Petition in order to finalize the joint degree plan. 

Admissions questions are addressed in our FAQ section. Further questions should be directed to MPP Grad Admissions and MIP Admissions